Monday, August 10, 2009

Wood or Would: Welcome to Elementary School

Today was the first day of teacher meetings at the school and the focus was on elementary grades. We (the teachers) basically sat through a normal elementary school day and participated on classes, observing how the teacher taught, and then through out the lessons, comments were made on how the lesson could be altered for different ages, or different activities that could be done. It was very interesting and I actually learned some stuff. Good thing I'm not teaching elementary ages. lol :D One of my many mistakes was trying to spell wood, instead of would. I also learned that I do not know my multiplication table as I should. Sometimes I do not feel like a math major. Hahgn (I don't know how to spell it. Cambodian's do not start names with A, but it sounds like it starts with a A.) caught both mistakes. I do not think he'll ever let me forget them.

The school is amazing! They are way more advanced then I ever thought they would be. The school has a brand new science lab and it is a beauty. Not much different than the states. They do not have as much supplies, but at least they have the basics. I still do not know what I am teaching for sure because there may be another girl from Southern coming, but I think I will be teaching physics since I was given the book.

After classes, I quick did laundry and then went to play cricket with some of the neighbor kids and Sumaiah. Sumaiah is a girl my age that lives below me and she is from Pakistan. She speaks Urdu and some English. I have a feeling we'll be good friends. No one showed up to play cricket, so instead we played badminton and then went and visited some Pakistani neighbors who fed us. I love some customs :D

I have to say that I have the best neighbors in the universe! Sumaiah's family invited me to go with them out to town and so we went and picked up cake and went to KFC. It's like I never left home :D except the chicken was kinda spicy in a strange way. Still tasted good though. Turned out to be Sumaiah's birthday. We had fun. There are two little kids Avik and Nahuh who are Sumaiah's nefew and niece and they call me Baji Amy, which means Sister Amy in Urdu. They are adorable. Nahuh is two and I can't walk down the stairs without her inviting me in their home. I have to tip toe when I am in a hurry. Apparently she does not take to people quickly, but she sure has attached to me right from the start.

So far I love it here. The only complaint I have is even though I washed my towel, it still smells like the market. Oh well, maybe a few more washes will take care of that.

1 comment: