Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Programming: Welcome to High School.

Apparently when asked by an Aussie if you are programming it does not mean working at a computer writing code. Lol I was so confused today when asked that by the wife of President of the Adventist Church in Cambodia. It means lesson planning. New one for me. Aussies also call clothes pins, clothes pegs. It's like another language. It totally confuses the Khmers when she talks to them. haha... the English language is great. :D

Today in orientation it was high school classes we sat through. Some of the girls today tried to teach me some Khmer cause they kept on laughing at me when I would just stare blankly when they are all talking to each other. The words I remember are g'baal (head) and sok (hair). They really don't pronounce the k though. Strange stuff. I'm trying though. Whitaker can basically talk it already pretty well, and can understand a lot of it. He picks it up quickly and remembers it. When I am told a new word I maybe will remember how it starts. I still can't remember how to say no. (I just looked it up and it is dtay.) There is 35 constants and 23 vowels in the Khemer language and then another symbol thingy that can change the sound of any of the letters. I did learn how to write my name now :D

At the end of the orientation our class was science lab. The lab is brand new and nice then the labs in the states. It is a beauty. The cupboards are cheap, but the actual science equipment is nice. BJ has the keys to the room and is the official science room teacher. I have no clue what I am teaching now, because Kristy from southern is officially coming now. I am surprised at how many of the Cambodian teachers have never been in a science lab. Only about 6 of the 28 teachers have worked in a lab and three of them we're us volunteers from the States. I am glad that we have the lab, so that it may spark some interest in the students for science instead of just thinking it is boring.

It was nice because this afternoon the neighbor kids came up to my room to hang out. Naeha colored and I helped Avak with his homework. Samariah came up as well and I began teaching her how to write some words. She is a very fast learning. It's a good thing I mopped and cleaned the bathroom today because the mom Alia came up and looked around a bit. :D

I also learned electricity goes in and out, so now I have a flashlight handy for any time at night when it should go out. Surprised me today when doing the dishes and poof no lights. The generators kicked in quickly though.

Well... of to bed. Got another day of school ahead of me. I can't wait till I have my own classroom. I don't get one this year because I will be moving around :( but eventually I'll have one.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy -

    Hopefully they will give you your class assignments soon. Can't believe Whittaker knows so much of the language already. Must be nice. Looking forward to seeing pictures. Not sure how we will get your computer to you. :(

    Love you lots
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep trying to learn the language, even if they laugh at you! You'll be speaking wonderful Khmer in no time I'm sure!

    Are they on the same school schedule as us or are they in the middle of the year right now?

    I had a dream last night that I don't remember much of but I remember that you were there are you gave me 3 hugs. It was wonderful!

    I agree with your mom, pictures soon!

    Love,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete