Friday, August 14, 2009

Things you will never see in the States

Yes I know... I didn't blog yesterday. My computer keyboard no longer works. The only letters that do are the top line such as qwerty etc. So by the time I figured out how to hook up another keyboard and figured out how to put some pictures on my computer, I was tired and went to bed.

Yesterday was a good day. After orientation Whitaker wanted to go to the market. I didn't really need anything but decided to go along to have something to do. We had received bikes that day and I thought it would be go to test them out. Pros (7th grade teacher and H.S art teacher) decided to go with us which I am so thankful he went. I thought motos are crazy... at least they are higher up on the traffic food chain than bikes. At one point we need to cross the street, so on a bike one just puts yourself out in the street and go praying that one will make it accross. At least that's what it felt like. I am learning the art of just doing it and going. It is important not to think about it too much. On the way back Pros had us try sugar cane juice. I have found my weakness. Now that is amazing stuff. Sweet but not too sweet and on ice it is very cold. Yummy. I'm scared what's going to happen when there is a cart selling it out side of the school everyday. :D

Today we just had a half a day of orientation and then Tim and Faye took us shopping and out for lunch. Good times. I got some more stuff for the kitchen. Faye and Tim are the parents of the compound. She is the one that worries about us and makes sure that all is well. I can go over to there house any night and just hang out if I get lonely. So far I have not had time to be lonely and there are too many people around to be lonely, but it is nice knowing I have someplace I can go.

Ruth and Dean invited a Korean group that is here for a short term mission trip and all the residents of the compound over for diner. Free dinners are the best! and lots and lots of fruit. I could live off the fruit. In fact I am craving some right now. There was also a Mom and a girl there who are here for a bit. The girl was adopted from Vietnam and so they are in south east Asia to visit her relatives and while over here decided to do some mission work and so they are volunteering for ASAP teaching a two Vietnamese schools in Phnom Penh. I didn't even know the Adventist church had two Vietnamese schools here. I keep on hearing about missionaries and it is exciting seeing all the work that is being done, and there is still a lot of work needing to be done.

I here so many stories of kids graduating from CAS and want to continue their education, but cannot because of lack of funds and to go to Mission college it is 6,000 a year. That is pennies to the USA. Often times if they are hard workers CAS hires those students to be deans or TA's, but it is sad because they deserve an education just as much as I do. Be very fortunate for what you have, because even though other countries may seem to be developing, equal opportunities to education is not an option for many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment